A bit about Miniature Horses.

The designation of a miniature horse is determined by the height. Section A, miniature horses stand 34" and below at the withers (the high part of the back, located between the shoulder blades). Section B, miniature horses stand 34" – 38" high at the withers. Lassie is a section B and is in foal to a Section B stallion.

While its common for people to refer to minis as "ponies" or "shetlands" , they are not.... and are a breed of their own. Miniature horses are exactly that, Miniature versions of their larger cousins. They don't have the stubborness or body type of a pony. Miniature horses do grow a thick shaggy coat during winter, which is clipped for the show ring.



Monday, December 24, 2007

4 weeks already!!!




My little Spirit is growing bigger everyday!! He is now 4 weeks old. He is starting to lose his baby hair around his muzzle and eyes.....


This last week saw Spirit have his first bath. He was curious when I was bathing Lassie, so I thought id try him.... he was a bit uncertain at first but decided the back rub he was getting was really pretty good, so he relaxed into it and I had to stop him leaning into me as he was enjoying it so much!!!! After he had his bath I introduced the clippers to him. He surprised me so much with this as I truly was expecting a fight... he stood there calmly and no worries at all.... I clipped parts of his chest, shoulders and little on his face. I didnt want to push the boundaries and left him like that, so we ended on a positive. I will bring them out again in another week or so and see how he goes with them again.
This last week also saw him introduced officially to Lassies old paddock mates... Tebby and Bobby. As we have moved house and paddocks I had had them apart and the boys were now closer. I was apprehensive about it, and very nervous as he is so little and the boys are so big.... but wow!!! I was surprised!!! The boys sniffed him through the fence and even were happy grazing with him grazing only about 20cms away!! So I took the chance, as I was going to do some work with Teb and let Bob out for a graze on some other long grass where I could tie him out..... and Spirit came over ...... there was sniffing going on and Spirit was doing plenty of mouthing at them (telling them that he's only a baby and means no harm) then he decided he wanted to try and convince Tebby to play , that was really funny, Teb was walking around in circles trying to keep up with Spirit who was zooming around!!! I was just in total shock and kicking myself that I didnt get this moment on film. All this time poor Lass was calling out for him to get back to her.... but he was being naughty and ignoring her. In the end I put a stop to playtime and led him back to her, where he lunged straight for her teats for a well deserved drink. I really know wonder why I was so worried about it in the first place. But that was my biggest hurdle really for now with him, and he has passed it with flying colours.

No comments: